Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day Two Q & A

Jessica Burkholder
Richfield, Pa.
Youngest volunteer, age 10
Why did you come to the build?
I wanted to come here because it doesn’t seem right that people don’t have homes. It’s just wrong. People need to have a place to live. And a place to sleep. I’m glad that I can be a part of that. It’s really cool.

What is your favorite part of a build?
I like interacting with the people best. And making more friends. None of my friends at church came but now everyone here’s like family. It happened pretty quickly. So that was cool.

What does home mean to you?
Home is a place where you make memories. A good place to live. Just a special place. You’d much rather be home than anywhere else. You make memories with your family, you laugh, you cry and stuff. But that’s part of life. And home’s where it all happens.

Naomi and Mary Sue Lehman
Shipshewana, Ind.
Volunteers












Why did you decide to come to the build?
Naomi: I decided to come with my husband. He loves to do carpentry work and he just wanted me to go along and I like helping out. I like it. It’s a good feeling to help people.

Mary Sue: And meet new people.

Naomi: I’m not as much of a new people meet-er.

Mary Sue: Well I’m not either. But my husband is.

Naomi: Our husbands are brothers and a new person isn’t a new person long with them. But I’d rather work in a corner somewhere by myself. I don’t mind meeting new people but it’s just…I’m not like our husbands.

What’s your role this week?
Naomi: We’re helping in the kitchen. I would like to get out there on the job one day, painting. At least one or two days of that. I hope I get to do that.

What do you like most about being here?
Mary Sue: It’s good to see how people get together and everybody pitches in and helps.

Naomi: I really appreciate the hospitality and the friendliness of the south.

Mary Sue: Yeah, the people are really, really friendly.

Naomi: And just working together to make a big project light. Many hands make light work. I think that’s nice. It’s something I enjoy in our own community. Everybody works together and gets a big job made simple. So I guess that’s what I like about being here.

What does home mean to you?
Naomi: Home means family and comfort and relaxing.

Mary Sue: Friends.

Naomi: Home is really special. I’ve lived there all my life. My parents grew up in Indiana, and my grandparents. Our community, togetherness, working together, church-- that’s a big part of home. If anybody needs help, why, our community is always right there to help.

Mary Sue: Helping each other, yeah, that’s a big one.

Naomi: I have four kids, so that’s home. The youngest is 12.

Mary Sue: We have three girls and 18 grandchildren. So they’re all special, we really enjoy them. Home’s just a good place to be.

Naomi: That’s right. As much as I enjoy this I would not choose for this every month. Just because of the being away from home. Too much of that is—you miss out on family togetherness if you’re away too much. So once in awhile this is okay. This is only the second day so I haven’t missed my family that much yet, but I’m sure by the end of the week I will be ready to go home.

Mary Sue: I like traveling but, going back… [smiles].

No comments:

Post a Comment