Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 4 Q & A
















Shakeil McCants
Lanett, Ala.
Homeowner, House # 22

What’s been your favorite part of the build so far?

Actually my favorite part was having them put those walls up on Monday. We came on Monday and we were standing on just foundation. And so actually seeing the walls go up and it all come together, within a couple hours? I’ve never seen that done before. So that’s my favorite part of the build.

What are you looking forward to most about having a home?

Raising my kids up in it. I’ll be able to say I have stories to tell them about this house. I actually built this house. I’ll be able to tell them details about it instead of wondering who had it first and how they took care of it.

What does this home mean to you?

I’m very blessed by this home. I wasn’t supposed to get a home this time. To actually get a chance? It means so much to me. I’m just ready to get in it. Especially at Christmas time. I’m excited to get in, put the Christmas tree up and everyone will sit around and we’ll hear the Christmas story. First getting my kids and letting them come in, like, my little girl. Let her choose which room she wants. A room without my son. I’m ready to put them in rooms by themselves.

David Snell
Fuller Center for Housing President
Colorado Springs, Colo. / Americus, Ga.

What’s your favorite part of a build?

There are folks here that have been coming to builds for years and years and years. And it’s almost like a class reunion of people that you really like. I like being spending a week surrounded by these good and decent people. The old-timers and the new comers who are so willing to give their time and energy to make this dream come alive.

What do you think of when you think of Millard’s legacy?

The elimination of poverty housing. It’s not just his dream. It’s a dream we all share. And honoring his legacy means continuing to pursue the dream.

What does home mean to you?

Home. Home is a sacred place. Home is where we nurture our family. Family is just the basic building block of life. Home is where you nurture that. And having a decent home that you’re comfortable in, and safe in, and protected by allows a family to nurture itself. That’s really what we’re doing. We’re creating a place where children can maximize their opportunities. A place where they can come home and study in comfort. Where the family can grow and develop.

In Woodland Park, Colo. there was a habitat affiliate. When you come into town they had Burmashave signs (a series of signs, and there would be a series of sayings). It said: “Teller County family has a home. Needs a house to put it in.” I just think that is so cool. So the house is a place where you build your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment